|Scope||Relocation of IT equipment from multiple Auckland sites to one central location|
|Project duration||8 weeks|
|Quantity||Workstations to be removed: 1,200|
Workstations to be installed: 1,400
Storage and handling of devices: 2,500
|Stakeholders||Client – three campuses and three different project teams|
DG – Project team (5 + PM)
New equipment suppliers
In 2017, the Client decided to relocate their staff from three existing buildings to one central location in the city. RFP was raised to companies that have the capabilities to carry out all disassemble, assemble, shipping and storage of more than 1,200 workstations. After evaluating all submitted proposals, Divers Group was selected as the successful supplier for this project.
Scope of the project
- Removal of equipment from multiple Auckland sites
- Housing and auditing of removed equipment
- Disposal of surplus equipment
- Staging and asset tagging new equipment
- Installation of re-used and new equipment into the new building as per plan phases
- Interim moves of other locations to close out lease tails as required
- Other IT asset related decommission services such as meeting room equipment, phones and printers
The desks for the new building were not completely assembled. Divers Group team had to work in parallel with furniture assembly teams to coordinate each move together and make sure no delay or wasted resources.
- An experienced project manager was appointed to manage the team and to make sure that all customers’ requirements are understood, documented and communicated.
- Based on detailed requirements identification, project planning documents were developed.
- Project team was selected and briefed
- Project was divided into 2 phases
First phase: Preparation
Objective: Ensure all required equipment are received and ready to deploy.
- DG Coordinated with customer and third parties to receive all equipment into DG warehouse.
- Asset tagging
- Scanning and entering all equipment data into Divers Group system
- Reporting to customer on progress
- Plan for phase two – execution
Second phase: Project execution
Objective: Execute relocation activities
- Divers Group managing director interviewed candidates and selected a team of 5 (one of DG employees and the rest were contracted)
- The team was briefed and provided with all necessary information
- PM coordinated with the team to answer all pending questions
- A detailed task for each team member was created which includes reporting and escalating procedure.
- Project executed following project schedule and plans
The Result :
There were few challenges such as time constraints, desk assembly not completed in advance among others. However, Divers Group succeeded in completing all deliverables on time and met all pre-defined quality requirements.
Customer feedback: Divers Group performance was efficient with high quality work.