|Scope||Replacing IT equipment of three campuses with new PC or iMAC|
|Project duration / Campus||November 2017: Albany Campus 5 working days
January 2018: Wellington 4 working days
January 2018: Palmerston North 5 working days
|Stakeholders||Client – three campuses and three different teams
Third party Equipment Suppliers
The Client is based in Palmerston North, New Zealand, with significant campuses in Albany and Wellington. The Client has approximately 35,000 students, 17,000 of whom are extramural or distance-learning students, making it New Zealand’s second largest university when not counting international students.The Client refreshes IT equipment every 4 years, Divers Group is the choice for handling every refresh projects.In August 2017, The Client asked divers group to submit their proposal for their upcoming refresh which was scheduled to start in November 2018 and finish in January 2018. All three campuses are part of this project and The Client asked DG to have one project team including PM to handle all three campuses.
Each campus created its own schedule which was basically a list of booked timeslots for each lecture theatre and lab. All installation work must be finished within these pre-defined booked hours.This required a rigorous planning by DG to ensure completion of work within these time slots which in many cases made up of only few hours. Moreover, accurate resources planning was necessary to ensure enough resources are available to complete multiple lecture theatres or labs simultaneously.In general, each campus must be completed within 5 working days except for Wellington which had to be completed within 4 working days.
- DG project manager was appointed to make sure that all customers’ requirements are understood, documented and communicated.
- PM in coordination with MD and Divers group technical services team handled all planning requirements.
- Customer communication/ reporting means, and frequency was decided
- Project was divided into 2 phases
First phase- Preparation:
Objective: ensure all required equipment are received and ready to deploy.
- DG Coordinated with customer and third parties to make sure all equipment are received in DG warehouse.
- Asset tagging
- Scanning and equipment data entering into system
- Reporting to customer on progress
- Plan for phase two – execution
Second Phase: project execution
Objective: Execute refresh activities
- MD interviewed candidates and selected a team of 10 (three of DG employees and the rest were contracted)
- Team was briefed and provided with all necessary information
- PM coordinated with the team to answer all pending questions
- A detailed task for each team member was created which includes reporting and escalating procedure.
- 2 team leaders were selected to assist PM with the monitoring and control process of the project execution.
The time constraint was the most challenging aspect of the project and DG managed to complete all deliverables without causing any disruption or delay to ongoing university activities and met all pre-defined quality requirements and customer feedback was excellent.